I know I have a slight biased with this salad but I seriously think this is one of the most flavorful and filling salads I’ve ever had. Gone are the days of feeling hungry after finishing a salad – this is almost like a black bean burger that you can eat with a fork! YUM!!
I definitely need to make this again soon!! Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- ⅓ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 orange, peeled and segments chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped - optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 pound cooked Shrimp or Chicken
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 2 lemons, juiced (need ¼ cup juice)
- 2 garlic cloves, microplaned or finely minced
- dash of sweetener (agave nectar, stevia or white sugar)
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- For the Lemon Vinaigrette: combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid, and shake to combine. Or, add lemon juice, garlic, sweetener, salt and pepper into a small bowl and whisk in oil.
- Combine cooled quinoa with red onion, orange segments, avocado, beans, corn, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Pour Lemon Vinaigrette over the salad and stir to combine.
- Serve cold or at room temperature